Saturday, July 10, 2010

This week, I found out someone I went to school with died suddenly from a heart attack. She was 56 years old. The news is very sad, not because I knew her well, but because she just graduated from college and was looking forward to getting her teaching credential and starting a new chapter in her life. Everyone who knew her in school was shocked and deeply saddened by her passing.

Earlier, the same day I got the news about Joni's death, another friend posted on her Facebook status this question: If you died suddenly, what would you miss most? Pretty ironic, no? It was fascinating to read people's responses. One woman posted that she would miss lobster, apple pie and blueberry pancakes. Another one posted that he would miss his cats and ganga. And of course the list went on.

I asked someone close to me the same question, and this is what he said:

I’d miss the cool breeze after a rain when the world is fresh and shiny and clean.

I’d miss chocolate chip cookie dough sweet and grainy as it melts in my mouth.

I’d miss staying up till 2AM to finish a really good book.

I’d miss watching a new movie both thought provoking and tear jerking, salty popcorn by my side.

I’d miss the butterflies I get when your warm lips touch mine.

I’d miss the feel of my lover, spooning in bed, sated and content.


This had me thinking about the things I would miss most. I originally said that I would miss:

I'd miss the perfume the sun makes when it warms fragrant Eucalyptus trees
I'd miss pink buttercream roses atop a delicious chocolate cake
I'd miss the feel and smell of puppies, with their warm bellies and happy faces
I'd miss the scent and sound of the turbulent ocean, undulating ever so steadily
I'd miss my lover's hands gliding along my skin.

I'd also miss:
-floating in a warm pool, and swimming
-really silky clean sheets after a relaxing salt bath
-a perfect latte
-Italian food, including: spaghetti with meat sauce, pepperoni pizza, mushroom risotto, etc...
-a pampering spa day
-making a difference in someone's life

My list could go on and on...

As I read it, it occurs to me how simple and sensory the items are. I also recognize what's missing from my list. Some omissions now appear blatantly obvious. For example, the people I love, poetry, seeing and exploring new or exotic places, etc...

Okay, I have to come back to this because after all this talk of food, I need to go for a walk before I eat something else.

TBC.

No comments:

Post a Comment