Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Some days I just want to be left alone, especially if I'm feeling grumpy or physically tired or when my muscles ache from an overly ambitious back bend. I often worry that as I get older I want/need more alone time. Some days turn into most days when I just don't want to be bothered by another person's need for small talk or clever repartee. Some days my vocal cords are in hibernation and refuse to leave the cave, no matter how insistent the plea may be. At the bagel shop, the book store, the market, it's just enough sometimes to say "yes, thank you, you too," and I always honor those polite social interactions, but some days it's minimal at best. I thought for a while that something was wrong with me, after all, the rest of the world seems perfectly cordial and willing to engage in idle chitchat. Why can't I? An old movie actress (Greta Garbo?) was known for her famous expression, "I just want to be left alone." If you're a movie star it seems acceptable to be reclusive and standoffish, but if you're an "ordinary" human being, it's just plain strange. I mean, God forbid if anyone goes against the grain in our homogenized culture. We are socialized to be group/community sensitive whether you feel like it or not. And I like people who are, I really do. I admire their ability to be cordial, if not annoying at times, in spite of my irritating rebellion. Thankfully, most days I can be one of "them," just not today. Today is one of those days...

No comments:

Post a Comment