Friday, March 2, 2012

Last night I had a dream that confused me. My bed was atop the ocean shore, apparently safe enough, floating like a houseboat close to the shore. All at once this large tidal wave rushed the shore and lifted my bed up to the sky with such a force that it catapulted me into the air a great distance. I flew ahead in such a gust of air as if I were soaring like bird riding an air wave. As the force lessened, I softly landed several hundred feet into some kind of market place. The kind you find on boardwalks, with different little stands and stores close to one another. I landed near a yogurt shop.

As I felt the solid earth beneath my feet I knew I had just experienced a miracle. This huge tidal wave should have killed me, but it didn't. Instead the force carried me far off into the distance to a place of nourishment and joy. When I returned to my bed, it was there along the same strip of shore, floating in the lapping waves. It had also landed safely in place. The big difference is the bed was supposed to be secured so it could not move out into the ocean. But for some reason, my old landlord, Mr. Murphy, had not tied my bed in place, allowing me to be catapulted!

When I woke up, I remember feeling really fortunate that I didn't die in that tidal wave, or that I didn't end up adrift out into the never ending horizon, lost at sea. I remember thinking I could have ended up floating all the way to the Indian Ocean had my bed not returned to it's original spot. It was all a miracle to me, especially landing softly to the ground after such a long gust of wind. I felt like I was flying, weightless - until I landed on my feet. I was not afraid, though, I was invigorated by the journey.

What could this dream mean? The typical symbols are there: the ocean, a bed, flight, but mixed with images like my mattress, Mr. Murphy, and the yogurt shop. It confuses me. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment